Thursday, March 8, 2018

Part 6 Bust For Sale By Shallow Grave FX

Josh is doing some great paint-ups of my old Aladdin Sane part 6 bust. These are for sale at his site at a very reasonable price. Have always been impressed with his command of an airbrush.

While hardly a perfect reproduction, the Aladdin Sane is easily the most accurate "C.J." style part 6 fan sculpt ever executed. Maybe that's a brag, but its also a fact. There were two sculpts done for the film, one a faceless cowl made for the first actor (Dan Bradley) and later a full-face sculpted by Brian Wade for the cemetery scene at the beginning of the film. This is the mask I was trying to replicate.

Here's a few shots of the sculpt and some of the finished pieces paired with photos of the original.
 
 

This piece has a long, complicated and somewhat painful history.

I sculpted it in 2010-2011 after the Brian Wade fiasco left a lot of collectors angry and disappointed they couldn't get a copy of the original part 6 movie bust. My (rather lofty) aim was to create the "His Unlucky Day" of part 6 pieces, since part 6 sculpts seemed to me to all have a significant degree of artistic license. I sculpted the forms obsessively over several months using transparency overlays with screenshots and other references so I could see how the entire head looked as it swiveled around.
 
 

After some texturing advice from some fantastic sculptors like Ryan Bean and James Mangrum (sculptor of His Unlucky Day), the sculpt was finished in May 2011 and I proudly blasted photos across Nightowl and Michael-Myers.net of the first finished piece a few months later.

The response was... crickets. Virtually ignored by fans and collectors. I think I sold two or three copies, and one of them was on eBay. After pulling a keeper for myself, I sold the mold in 2013 to Canadian artist and horror fan John Ubdegrove. John only pulled a couple of copies before he was in a severe car accident months later and left unable to continue his art. He did manage to create a life-size Jason with it though, and even reportedly had an offer on it from Jason actor C.J. Graham.

Shortly before he tragically passed away in August 2015, John had sold the mold to James Power of Crystal Lake Industries who briefly sold a hood version before selling the by-then somewhat damaged mold to the current owner, Josh Palmer of Shallow Grave FX last year. Josh sent me a urethane pull from the mold that I partially re-sculpted back into its original glory, and a new mold was made from that.

After 7 years of collecting dust, journeying all over Canada and back, I can't begin to describe how grateful to Josh and thrilled I am that this piece--that for so long seemed destined to never see the light of day-- is finally being produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment