Friday, May 18, 2018

The Mask Used in "Voorhees"

NOTE: This post was originally written in May 2018 but updated in December 2020.

So as a small note that I am very proud of, an old hockey mask I painted over a decade ago was used in the Friday the 13th fan film Voorhees.

In addition to being the only mask seen on screen (as far as I can tell), it features prominently in advertising materials as well.


This was a NECA resin mask I painted back in December 2009 and sold to Cody back in early 2011.

Here it what it looked like when I bought it on eBay. In those days we didn't have the JDF or Frightstuff blanks yet so we just repainted the NECAs:


If I recall correctly, it had a basecoat of Krylon almond with raw umber washes over it. I even used a tiny bit of vaseline in the weathering to try to get a sort of greasy, soiled look. Here it was during the weathering stage:


And as it was finished at the time:



As an interesting aside, famed mask masker Lars10 once told me this mask inspired him to paint his legendary remake masks, some of the most accurate (and expensive) you can find.

Here's a side by side with a shot from the upcoming film. The original grime is still there, albeit partially buried under new paint:
Left: 2018, right after the mask was broken during a shoot. Right: 2009.

2020 update: And here's a photo I took of it when I was onset. Another artist has done a lot of additional weathering, probably to break up the sheen caused by the clear coat (which I think was Krylon matte clear):


2020 update: Here it is right before the premier in Virginia in October 2020:




No comments:

Post a Comment